Executive Board Meeting
January 31, 2009
I. Writing Retreat (Brian)
• 2 people drop, threw off group rotation – move groups differently change timing so that
2 groups helping one group
• At Georgia Center supply access is limited: need computers.
We should have enough if people should be able to bring their own
• Students participating will get 8990 credit; majority of work done during this last meeting so don’t worry
about credit hour vs. workload issue at this point
• Internet access – no PAWS?
• Kyle is reporting to NCTM
II. Begles Schedule (Brian)
• Working out to be the third Friday of each month this semester.
III. Library Proposal (Brian)
• Working on after writing retreat – Brian suggests we need to pay someone to get this accomplished.
• $2800 to be spent on TME, NCTM conference, and colloquia (about 50% of budget)
• Pay $800 for 20-40 hours, probably isn’t enough time to finish the job, but we need to make some
progress and let the next board pick up where we left off
• Richard wanted to leave more money for next year than we were left.
• Next issue: who can do this, Brian will tlak with Denise
IV. Community Service (Sharon)
• Erica Fletcher at Cedar Shoals
• one person interested in math competition
• Committee to get undergrads involved in tutoring, community service
• Undergrad reps say that no one responds: what kind of incentives can we offer to increase participation:
point system or
• Goal this year is to develop name recognition, next year sponsor some events
• Extra work is required for admission in this program, may be part of the problem for drumming up
• Cynthia and Emily will work on building support among undergrads
V. Colloquium (Dana)
• Karen King NYU – Policy – March 3