EMAT 4360/6360 & EMAT 5360/7360
For the fall semester, Prime students will be taking a methods class
(EMAT 4360/6360) with an accompanying field experience class (EMAT 5360/7360).
Assignments will be possed on this website
as well as WebCT. All typed assignments should
through WebCT, please do not email the instructors your assignments.
Overview: We work from a belief that mathematics for teaching is different
from mathematics for oneself, and that at its core, mathematics for teaching
carries an implication of mathematics for all students.
Within this mathematical
context we ask you to:
• work toward a critical view of your future classroom and your role within
• explore and develop tools to become the mathematics teacher you envision
• become aware of tensions between current practices and practices promoting
education of all students.
• consider advantages of working within a professional learning community
and factors that contribute to or detract from such communities.
• challenge/broaden/deepen your mathematical understanding of topics in
the HS classroom.
We will interact with practicing teachers and students
in local high schools to:
• learn and practice critical observation (listening, feeling) of mathematics
• challenge (develop) both experiential and theoretical images of mathematics
classrooms through observation.
• consider the value and use of documents such as lesson plans, text books,
state standards, and local curriculum guides.
Nature of Math discussion |
Assumptions discussion | PDF
Field Experience 1 |
Field Experience 2 |