EMT 335/468 Mathematical Foci
Monday: Mean, Median, Mode and Standard Deviation from real data.
Tuesday: Introduction to GSP through "Balancing Quadrilaterals."
Geometric representations of Means, medians and "balance points in
Wednesday: Medians of Triangles and other compass constructions.
Thursday: Orthocenter and other Centers of Triangles with GSP --
Friday: Electronic communications (Email and Internet)
Transformations, Tessellations, Escher Designs.
Geometric Golfer, GSP, Tessellmania, manipulatives.
From transformations into functions (Exploring Linear Equations with
Weeks 4 & 5
Continuing explorations of transformations and functions with GSP, Logo
and Algebra Xpresser.
Weeks 6 & 7
- From Dynagraphs to Cartesian Coordinates with GSP
- Input/Output Function procedures with Logo and Spreadsheets
- The Box problem and the Telescope Problem -- linking GSP simulation to
measurements and graph in GSP, graphing expressions in Xpresser
- Maxima and minima, tangents to curves and other ideas of calculus
Graphing conics and other relations with Algebra Xpresser
Weeks 8 & 9
- linking to geometric exploration of conics via paper folding and
- general Conics Sketch using Circle Inversion in GSP
- Trigonometry of the circle with GSP and Xpresser
Proofs and Refutations
Statistics and Probability with Chance and Data Space
Circle Inversion and the Joukowski
Transformation of the complex Plane (maybe!)
Work on assignments and Final Projects.
Return to EMT 468 Syllabus